The very concept of “overwhelm” is overwhelming.
It’s a self-fulfilling prophesy, and circuitous. The more I feel I’m likely to be overwhelmed, the more likely I am to be overwhelmed.
I wrote about this a year ago, and I thought it was saved for ignoble posterity somewhere online, but I can’t find it anywhere.
Here’s what I hear often:
- “I’m overwhelmed by everything I need to do get in place to launch my business.”
- “I’m overwhelmed by the technology I need to understand in order to host a webinar.”
- “I’m overwhelmed by the amount of learning I have to do in order to be any good at marketing.”
But here’s the rub:
Overwhelm is not a result of having too much to do, it’s a result of not knowing what to do next.
To know what to do next, you need to reverse engineer.
- “This year I need to earn $100k”
- “Therefore I need to make ten sales of $10k each.”
- “Therefore I need to identify 40-50 potential clients who need what I have to offer and start letting them know what I know and how I can help them.”
- “I need to write a 50,000 word book.”
- “Therefore I need to write ten chapters of 10,000 words each. Here’s are the chapter headings.”
- “Therefore I need to write 2000 words a day for 25 days”
Overwhelm is a result NOT of having too much to do, but of not knowing what to do next. — Tweet this!
- Identify end-result.
- Identify steps needed to take to get there
- Do them.
Incidentally, in most cases, providing that you’re reasonably proficient service provider and you know what you’re doing, you need precisely the following to start working with paying clients:
- A telephone
- A bank account
- Pen and paper
All the rest is extra.
If you’re really stuck on getting things done, then this infographic will certainly help.
If you’re specifically overwhelmed at the thought of bringing new clients into your business, then the More Clients Mastermind may be for you.
One of our members just closed a $72k deal.
As always, if you want access for a whole year, at a 60% discount backed by a lifetime money-back guarantee, get in touch and I’ll hook you up with the details.